There are 26 letters in the alphabet: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z.
There are 21 consonant letters in the alphabet: B, C, D, F, G, H, J, K, L, M, N, P, Q, R, S, T, V, W, X, Y and Z.
There are 5 vowels in the alphabet: A, E, I, O, U .
Note: Sometimes Y can be used as a vowel.
Total number of letters in the alphabet
English alphabet is begun around the 7th century from Latin script. The alphabet word is a compound of the first two letters of the Greek alphabet are alpha and beta.
- 23 letters (A B C D E F G H I K L M N O P Q R S T V X Y Z) are the first 23 letters of the 29 original Old English Alphabet.
- 3 letters have been added from Old English: J, U, and W. J and U were added in the 16th century, while W assumed the status of an independent letter.
- 6 letters have been dropped from the Old English alphabet:: & ⁊ Ƿ Þ Ð Æ
- Until 1835, the English Alphabet consisted of 27 letters: right after “Z” the 27th letter of the alphabet was ampersand (&).
- The English Alphabet (or Modern English Alphabet) today consists of 26 letters: 23 of 29 from Old English and 3 added later.
Letters of Alphabet Numbered
Random Alphabet Facts
- M is the 13th letter of the alphabet.
- English is one of the widely spoken languages worldwide, with over 1.5 billion speakers. These letters can be both in uppercase and lowercase.
Number of Letters in Different Languages
- Germans use the same 26 letters that English uses despite some pronunciation and formatting differences.
- The Spanish language has 27 letters in total.
- The French alphabet has 26 letters since it’s based on the Latin alphabet.
- The Italian language uses a variant of the Latin alphabet comprising 21 letters.
- The Hebrew language is known as square script, blocks script, or Jewish scrip and has 22 letters.
- The Modern Greek alphabet has 24 letters, ordering from alpha to omega.
- There are more than 100,000 Chinese characters, and it is almost impossible to count them. However, the number of useful characters is between 3,000 to 6,000.
- The modern Japanese writing system uses a mixture of three alphabets but is similarly impossible to count them all.
- The modern Russian alphabet consists of 33 letters: 10 vowels, 21 consonants, and 2 signs (ь, ъ).
- The Hawaiian alphabet has five vowels, seven consonants, and one glottal stop.
- The Swedish language consists of 29 letters, A through Ö.